October 11, 2017 TFRyan

Project Update: K24 AE86 Part 4

Hey guys! Welcome back to the blog updates for the K24 AE86, it has been quite a while since we released part 3 so we are going to cap off the build with this final photo packed post! The K24 truly is a fantastic candidate if one were to ditch the original 4a-GE (or the 4 AC, yuck) in favor of a newer and more advanced engine in their AE86 chasses. Hopefully with these blog updates, the idea of a K24 swap will be on the minds of more people as it is very do-able with some ingenuity and the right tools. Without further adieu, let’s jump into part four:




When you mount a traditionally FWD engine longitudinal, things aren’t always going to line up where they are supposed to so of course some custom work will have to be done. Here, the coolant hose had to be made out of aluminum to route the coolant neck adapter on the block to the Koyorad radiator.




The connecting hose on the rear of the radiator pipe/hose assembly.


The full piece, TIG welded together.


Welding details.


Radiator pipe installed on the engine underneath the intake manifold to confirm everything fits properly.


The next thing to tackle for the 86 were custom wing stands to fit the Kognition wing (originally off of Mike’s Time attack S14).


End result will look sort of like this piece of well bent cardboard here.


Cutting away the bottom of the hatch for reinforcement plates to be mounted to support the future wing stands.


Nice little space.


The aluminum wing stands have taken shape (literally)!


These little guys are the bottom brackets, where the wing stands mount to the hatch.


Bolting them onto the hatch with more reinforcement underneath will ensure the wing does not move around un-necessarily and also does not bend the hatch.


Holes cut int he TRD wing to fit the wing stand brackets.


Wing stands painted, laid the wing on to double check everything,


Cutting it close!


Not too shabby!


Wing is complete, onto tackling the engine bay wiring.


Getting started on cleaning up the wiring in the engine bay and working with the factory TSX harness.


Also finished wiring up the AutoMeter SPEK-PRO Gauges!


These gauges are bright, beautiful and accurate. If you have any questions on the installation of them, we are now experts.


Detail of the throttle body work.


K-Miata makes a ton of great parts for FWD->RWD K conversions.


A Vibrant performance air filter will keep the intake air clean to allow our K24 to sing!


Skunk 2 reversable intake manifold.


Koyorad BEAMS (3SGE) swapped AE86 radiator, also works great with K series

Giving the car its first shakedown at GRIDLIFE Midwest Festival/Track Battle Round 2!


After which we discovered this gem of a problem: the car is over 30 years old, so this kind of thing was bound to happen especially since this car lived its previous 4A-GE powered years as a drift car. Two more intense high speed track days finished off this suspension arm bracket on the rear axle.


See ya!


This is the bracket on the other side of the solid rear axle, mocked up next to it are the replacement pieces for the other side’s missing bracket.


Just to be safe, we’re going to add some reinforcement gussets to the remaining bracket.


Here they are!


This way, the bracket won’t be as flimsy as the other side and will be able to take more years of track abuse.


Tacked on and waiting for the final welding.


Here’s the replacement bracket all finished up.


The remaining original bracket reinforced as well. We also made a video behind the scenes of the process, click the link to go to our YouTube channel and check it out!




The rear axle is ready to be re-installed on the car, and be driven for it’s second shakedown at Autobahn Country Club!



The owner of the 86 also upgraded his steering wheel to the new Vertex Japan “Labyrinth” 330mm deep steering wheel.



Fits right in along with the Spek-Pro gauges.


The AE86’s second shakedown went really well, the car has so much potential to lay down some really impressive lap times after some more seat time is had. Unfortunately, the AE86 met an early retirement after a previous driveshaft vibration that was thought to have been fixed by the local driveshaft place reappeared when the car went over 60 MPH.


That was the biggest issue we had with the entire swap, which we sourced down to the original custom driveshaft being made improperly. After going back and forth with previous driveshaft, we ended up contacting the guys over at The Driveshaft Shop and they made us exactly what we needed! The solid aluminum driveshaft fixed the vibration issue and made the car 100% operational at all speeds.



The car sits in its current state here at TF, with the owner flying in from his East Coast residence to drive the car at local track days. Check out a full upcpming feature on the car, coming soon from a popular source! 🙂

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,