Picking back up where we left off with Part 2 of the K24 powered AE86 (If you haven’t been following along with the build, be sure to check out PART 1 and PART 2), in which we prepped the engine to be dropped in the chassis and also installed: full Crystal Body Yokohama aero, Work Meister CR01s, the Techno Toy Tuning brake kit and a few other small bits.
Before the engine went in, we installed new solid steering rack bushings for minimal steering play.
We also removed some metal around the shifter location to make sure the F20C transmission fit up nicely in the Toyota chassis.
In she goes!
A custom driveshaft was necessary to mate the GTS AE86 rear end to the S2000 transmission.
Trimming off some metal on the oil pan to clear the steering rack…
On both sides of the block.
A little more trimming!
Everything is bolted up in its final place!
JSP Fab K24 into AE86 header installed on the car.
Top of the freshly ceramic coated header.
The Koyorad BEAMS 3SGE –> AE86 radiator, the perfect option for the K24 swap.
We ran into a small problem once the radiator was installed; the space between the radiator and the intake manifold made fitting the intake piping, MAF, AND filter impossible.
Our solution was to use a 90 degree elbow we had lying around, weld it onto the throttle body to give us the necessary space. Here the piece is tacked on and we were using the welder to clean off any impurities that might taint the integrity of the final weld.
All done! Plenty of room now.
Here’s how it looks with the radiator installed on the car.
Making radiator brackets from scratch for the new Koyorad!
Cool and good.
Brand new fuel sending assembly for this car, we don’t want the owner to have any problems with his fueling.
Custom driveshaft is done, yay!
Brand new kouki Trueno bumper lights arrived straight from Japan.
The Stance Suspension true type coilover suspension for the AE86.
Starting to fabricate the custom exhaust. The JSP Performance header hangs pretty low, so we will be picking up that slack and building the exhaust as high as we can for maximum clearance.
Fitting up the resonator near where the crossover beneath the driveshaft occurs.
Tack tack tack!
Exhaust is coming together. Super JDM photo tilt.
Making our own hangers to ensure the exhaust sits nice and tight.
Close up of the exhaust hanger reinforcement plate. Welding a hanger directly to the piping could potentially lead to the hanger ripping off due to impact or scraping over an obstacle, but this will give it a bit more strength.
Welding on another reinforcement plate.
Rear section of the exhaust finished up and sitting on the car.
If you checked back on Part 2 of the build so far, you would have seen the AutoMeter Spek-Pro gauges that were selected for this build, and here is the start of the custom gauge cluster for the Corolla!
New faceplate to hold the upgraded gauges in.
HUGE tachometer and speedometer to read off the high revs of the K24 and how fast this little go kart will be going!
RIP to the GTS cluster that gave its life that day.
Custom fuel lines for the car had to be made to accommodate the Honda heart.
Fitting everything up along the chassis.
One step closer to the car firing up for the first time with its new powertrain.
Right now we are tying up the remaining tasks on the car such as the wiring for the gauge cluster as well a few other things on the K24. There is plenty more to document for Part 4 of the build, check back on the blog for updates on this car as well as all of the other in-house projects going on at TF-Works!
Here’s a sneak peak of the new livery 🙂