January 24, 2017 TFRyan

Project Update: KA-T S13 Drift Build

A few weeks ago we were brought a KA-T S13 with a laundry list of parts we were going to be installing, as well as plans for a bit of love and normal maintenance here and there. However, the more we dug into the car on the initial tear down, the more we found that needed to be fixed and replaced. No big deal, this was a 25 year old car that was seemingly put together on a tight budget by the previous owner.  On the hand, the current owner bought it knowing what needed to be done and how he wanted the car to look and perform, so he brought it to us to fulfill his vision! The first order of business was pulling out the previously boosted KA and checking on its overall condition.

RAL_4492

 

RAL_4494

Well hello there! We have a bent rod.

RAL_4523

This KA was definitely in need of a rebuild and top to bottom refresh.

TFW_7279

A set of fresh Manley connecting rods ready to replace the tired OEM ones.

TFW_7274

CP Pistons to go with the Manley rods.

RAL_4482

The chassis itself was a bit on the rough side as well. The frame rails were mostly smashed in…

RAL_4470

… or missing!
RAL_4467

The waste gate piping was worth mentioning. Very interesting design…

RAL_4477

The floorboard had patches of rust as well, this was the worst bit where you could clearly see the carpet through the “floor”.

RAL_4480

There was extensive rust on the original chassis so we contacted  the owner and planned to re-shell, moving everything we could salvage from the old car onto a new chassis. This way the car would be safe, in better shape than when it came, and would be less prone to problems in the future.

RAL_5205

A few things that were salvaged off of the old shell to be installed on the new one!

RAL_5206

A fresh steering rack and tie rods ready for the new shell.

RAL_5085

Clean! No rust on the shell that everything will be swapped over to.

RAL_5084

Perks of being a Florida car, no salt on the roads. We did however find a massive damn spider under the car… Cons of being a Florida car. NOPE.

RAL_5082

Solid.

RAL_5081

Frame rails are in much better shape than the original car.

RAL_5080

Ready for its new life!

RAL_5267

The KA came back from the machine shop so we got right to work!

RAL_5289

The all new Tomei MLS head gasket was a perfect fit for the KA-T build!

RAL_5308

The KA24DE multi layer steel head gasket from Tomei is a super grommet type, which is dual sealing for the coolant, oil, and gases.

RAL_5336

The cylinder head is on, we set the Tomei Poncoms in for a quick photo before setting them in their proper position to go with TDC.

RAL_5346

So fresh!

RAL_5505

ATI Super Damper installed on the KA.

RAL_5508

New timing chains and tensioners from Japan!

RAL_5514

Camshaft retainer caps installed and torqued to spec.

RAL_5519

Double checking the torque specs on the rod caps…

RAL_5544

The donor chassis waiting to start it’s new life!

RAL_5591

We opted for the Mr. Gasket copper exhaust manifold gasket that features an embossed O-ring design to increase sealing pressure around the exhaust ports, creating a tight, leak-proof seal.

RAL_5612

TOMEI KA24DET turbo manifold is on! Just waiting for the S15 T28 to come in next week.

RAL_5662

The build is almost wrapped up, we’re waiting on a few more things to come in until the engine gets dropped in later this week, check back on the TF Instagram and Facebook pages for updates!

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , ,

Comment (1)

Comments are closed.